Rajan loves cooking dishes from his native Indian cuisine. He likes to share his favourite recipes with his online readers.
Indian Flatbread With Bottle Gourd
Lauki paratha is an Indian flatbread prepared by incorporating grated bottle gourd, spices and flour into a dough. It is a healthy breakfast dish you must try.
Taste the bottle gourd before grating as it is sometimes bitter. If it is bitter, do not use it as it is poisonous.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
For the dough:
- 1 cup lauki (bottle gourd), washed, peeled and grated, taste the lauki and if bitter do not use it
- 1.25 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp sendha namak (rock salt) or table salt
- 1 tsp kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
- 1 tbsp hara dhania (cilantro)
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 chopped green chilli
- 1 tsp desi ghee (clarified butter), you can use oil instead
For rolling and frying:
- dry whole wheat flour, as needed
- desi ghee (clarified butter), as needed
- dahi (yoghurt), garnished with mint powder, red chilli powder and roasted jeera (cumin seed powder)
- mango pickle
- In a paraat (kneading plate), measure the flour, grated lauki, red chilli flakes, coriander powder, garam masala, salt, kasuri methi, hara dhania, ginger garlic paste, chopped green chilli and desi ghee.
- Mix and prepare a soft dough. Knead for 3-4 minutes. If the mixture is a bit dry add a little water. Smear a little desi ghee on the dough, cover with a lid and let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 3 equal-sized portions. Take 1 portion, roll it into a ball, dust with dry flour and roll it out into a round-shaped slightly thick paratha, about 6 inches in diameter. While rolling the paratha, sprinkle dry flour over it when needed to prevent it from sticking to the rolling pin or rolling surface.
- Spread a thin layer of desi ghee over the paratha, then fold it as shown in the video to make a square-shaped dough. Dust with dry flour and roll it out into a square-shaped, slightly thick paratha.
- Heat a tawa (skillet) on low-medium heat. Brush a little desi ghee over it and place the paratha over it carefully. Cook one side for about 15-20 seconds; then flip it over and raise the heat to medium and cook the other side for about 15 seconds.
- Flip the paratha and spread a little desi ghee over it; then flip it once again and spread a little desi ghee over this side as well.
- Cook the paratha by flipping it over repeatedly until it is roasted crisp with nice brown spots on both sides. Transfer to a plate and prepare the other parathas similarly.
- Serve the parathas with dahi (yoghurt) and mango pickle.
How to Make Lauki Paratha (Bottle Gourd Paratha)
© 2021 Rajan Singh Jolly